I've had a lot more time lately to do some soul searching and struggling. I've also had a lot of time to be more social now that school is over until June (yay!). I went with some of my friends to see the "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past". While it was a good movie for a girls night out, it just made me sad. So many women and girls date for the wrong reasons - to fill an emptiness that God can only fill.
I've been reading this book called, "Do You Think I'm Beautiful?" by Angela Thomas, and she addresses these issues. Women are constantly asking if others think we are beautiful, if we are worthy of attention, or if we can be loved. While we can run to guys, they can only do so much (no offense guys - some of you are pretty great, but nothing can match up to the Creator's love).
I think my biggest struggle in this is the need to be perfect. In my head, I know logically this is not possible - only Jesus is perfect. But for some dumb reason, my heart wants to keep trying. I want to have perfect relationships, a perfect D-group, a perfect job, perfect abilities to make perfect dinners - I could go on and on, but I'll spare you :)
Slowly, I'm learning that it's not about the appearance. I've been striving to be this "church lady" as Angela calls them - the ones that appear to be perfect and have it all together. However, we can't have it all together - what would be the point of us still being here? We are here to learn, and endure the painful process of sanctification.
Last night I came across this, and it was one of those light bulb moments...
"...maturity in Christ has more to do with understanding the depths of God's grace and forgiveness. Maturity in Christ is about consistent pursuit in spite of the attacks and setbacks. Maturity in Christ is not about finally attaining some level of pseudo-perfection. It is about remaining in the arms of God. Abiding and staying, even in my weakness, even in my failure."
Here's to being more like a non-church, non-perfect lady :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment