Thursday, April 23, 2009

Love as a Commodity

So I haven't really been blogging this spring - too much going on in my head I think for me to fully focus on one thing at a time. However, I was reading this morning while I waited for parts of my portfolio to load (a whole 'nother story), and it really hit me.

I'm reading "Blue Like Jazz". I didn't want to read it when it first came out simply because everyone else was reading it. I am really enjoying it though as I have most of Donald Miller's books because they make me think and evaluate my own life.

If you are familiar with the book than you probably know what I am talking about, but he discusses love in one of his chapters. He relates it to money; we tend to dole out love as a commodity, not as something limitless. The problem is we try to limit our love to those whom we don't like to change them into people that we like. The ones we like get more and more of our love.

That's not the way it works - for those of us who are believers, does God love you more or less when we stray or disobey Him or fall short of His commandments? Neither - His love never changes (Heb. 13:8). Yet, we are quick to take away our love because someone annoys us, or thinks differently than us. We need to be doing the opposite - loving them more. That's why Jesus tells us to love our enemies, and yet it is so hard for us to do.

So just something to think about...how do you give out your love?

No comments: