Sunday, October 5, 2008

Girls' Hearts

So lately I've been having a lot of discussions with people about girls' hearts. These are mostly my young girls, but I think that a girl never really grows out of one certain need.

Girls want to be romanced.

We do. Our inner being cries out for it (for some crazy reason), and we look for it in all the wrong places sometimes. This is what I refer to as girl porn. No seriously...think about it. We watch all these romantic movies, read these books, and fantasize with our friends, co-workers and the like about what our dream guy would do. When we can't find it in humans, we can look for it in other areas - clothes, money, food, exercise...it's our version of porn.

Tonight, I watched "The Notebook" with my old roomie. Her husband was at work, and we decided that we needed to watch something that he would not normally agree to. "The Notebook" was on - problem solved.

As we got into the movie, I started to remember why I don't watch these "romantic" movies as much. They are SO unrealistic of humanly love sometimes, and yet, when I watch these movies, I find myself getting caught up in all of it. I probably preach this over and over again to my D-Group girls, but men should not be expected to be a Noah. They were not created to be our all and all. God was. He is the lover of our soul, the creator of our hearts. He alone knows how to romance us. Sure, if He has marriage in the plans for us, He is going to teach our future husbands how to love us and reflect a glimpse of how great His love is. However, to expect our husband to one day meet all of our love needs is crazy! I know for sure that there will be times that I will let my future husband down when trying to love him well. I am human, and I will fail miserably at times. I know too that he will probably fail at times though truly meaning well. It is going to happen, and that's okay.

I am not saying that we girls don't need to watch these movies or that guys need to stop trying to romance us. I just hate watching people looking for this kind of romance in something else, when God offers it freely. He doesn't care what we've done; He only cares that we believe in His love - the kind that is eternal, unfailing, unconditional, patient, kind, protective, trusting, hopeful.

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." ~ 1 Chron. 16:34

To those who are longing for that "Notebook" love, it's available, and it's free. Don't forget that :)

No comments: