Sunday, October 28, 2007

The True Meaning of Love

So over the last week or so, I've been struggling with the concept of love. We see or hear the word "love" everywhere we go - from the Target ads already pushing to get your loved one a great Christmas gift or to the love songs on the radio. I don't think I've ever been truly in love, but I thought I knew what it meant until the other day.

The Bible study that I am doing led me to some familiar verses, ones that I have committed to memory somewhat. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it does not keep records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

These verses have always spoken to me whether it be in relationships with friends, family or even when praying for my future husband. However, until recently, I did not realize or think to apply it to my relationship with God. How could I not love my Savior, and yet do I apply these same "love" concepts to Him? Am I always patient with Him? Do I always trust Him? Is all my hope always in Him?

This morning at church we took communion, the ultimate symbol of remembrance of God's love for us. For so long, I have tried to understand, how despite my many flaws and failed attempts to please Him, my God loves me more than I can imagine, more than I can fathom! It does not make sense, until you go back to Paul's letter to the Corinthians - it's about the true meaning of love. "Does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth" "Love is patient, love is kind." It just blows me away. God demonstrates perfect love to us in the form of His Son, Jesus, who was sent to the Cross to die for our sins. Wow - my Savior loves me!

How do we truly understand all this or fully grasp it for those of us who believe? I think for me, it's about going before Him, and asking Him to change me, to help me to see His love and love Him back like I should. One of my favorite songs tells exactly how I want to approach the throne of God:

"A thousand times I've failed
Still your mercy remains,
Should I stumble again,
I'm caught in your grace.

Everlasting,
Your light will shine when all else fades.
Never ending your glory goes beyond all fame.

In my heart and my soul,
I give you control,
Consume me from the inside out, Lord.
Let justice and praise,
Become my embrace,
To love you from the inside out."

(Hillsong)

It's all about embracing His love and grace...and it may take me my entire life to truly grasp. Here's to the journey!

No comments: